The American Honda Foundation supports youth education with a specific focus on the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects in addition to the environment, job training and literacy. They seek out those programs and organizations with a well-defined sense of purpose, demonstrated commitment to making the best use of available resources and a reputation for accomplishing their objectives. In addition, programs should be:
- Innovative and creative that propose untried methods which ultimately may result in providing solutions to the complex educational concerns currently facing the American society.
- Broad in scope, intent, impact and outreach.
- Possess a high potential for success with a relatively low incidence of duplication of effort (i.e. other organizations administering the same programs).
- Dedicated to improving the human condition of all mankind.
- Operate from a position of financial and administrative soundness.
- In urgent need of funding from a priority basis (not necessarily financial need); i.e., the relative importance of the program or project to the public.