Friends of Tandy Hills has announced the receipt of a grant from the David L. Tandy Foundation. The funds will be used for removal of invasive species at Tandy Hills Natural Area (THNA).
THNA is a 160-acre indigenous remnant of prairie located in the heart of Fort Worth. The land was obtained by the City of Fort Worth Parks and Community Services Department in 1960 and designated a “natural area” in 1987.
Noted for its unusually complete collection of prairie flora, THNA contains more than 1,500 species. The land is a living example of how most of the Great Plains appeared in pre-development times. Friends of Tandy Hills exists to promote the conservation and restoration of THNA.
David L. Tandy (1889 – 1966) was the father of Charles Tandy who turned his father’s leather business into the Tandy Corporation. This particular branch of the Tandy family is not directly related to the namesake of the natural area, but nevertheless, took an interest in supporting its efforts.